Friday, November 13, 2009

denied. twice.

Have any of you tried to get social security disability? We have. Twice. Both times my husband was denied. Both times, their reasoning was that his "condition" was thought to not last longer than 12 months. Huh?! They also suggested jobs that THEY thought he could do, like we hadn't thought of them before! Seriously. WHO makes these decisions??? I don't understand it. I see what my husband has to go through on a day-to-day basis. THEY get my husband evaluated by some random doctor who doesn't know anything about my husband's health history. For all we know, those doctors might not even be fluent in the symptoms and devastating affects of MS. But that is how it is done. If there is anybody out there who knows of an MS patient who has actually been approved for social security disability, I'd like to hear about it.

As for us, it's not like we are just trying to get "free" money. I know that there are people out there who do that, but we are not one of them. My husband worked for many years after his diagnosis, and believe me, he would much rather work than be a victim of this debilitating disease. We have had several conversations about this topic, and he feels more like a failure as a husband and father because he can't provide for his family. I am fine with going to work, but I have to finish school first so that I can get a good enough job that will support us.

It's just all so frustrating. If there is someone else out there who needs it more than us, then fine. I understand, and I want them to have it. But for now we are barely surviving on what little monthly income we do have. And a little extra would definitely help. However, I am truly grateful for what the Lord has blessed us with. I realize that we have more than some people do and I know things could always be worse (though sometimes that is hard to remember when you are debating which bill to pay!). If nothing else, we have each other. And that is what life is all about. Family. Love. Kindness. We believe that families are forever, and enduring to the end is what we are focusing on.

1 comment:

  1. Terry, you really need to consider working with a lawyer on this. I always see these guys advertised: http://www.binderandbinder.com

    I was forced to work with a lawyer when my company put me on long-term disability. I was denied once (that is very typical) but when we appealed ... it went right through. Your neurologist needs to write the right kind of note such as:
    - needs breaks every hour
    - can't deal with the heat
    - incontinence / bladder issues

    My neuro knew the right formula and my lawyer was able to settle out of court and I received almost 3 years of backpay. The lawyer takes a chunk (no more than a certain amount) out of the back pay.

    Please do not give up on that SSDI, but get a lawyer who knows how to get it through for you. They will take care of the whole thing. It's a tiring process otherwise. You need the big guns.

    Sending a prayer for you both.

    ReplyDelete